Tuesday, January 29, 2008

President's Remarks and the Weather

Well, since I do not have a link option for some unknown reason, I guess that a picture will have to be sufficient for advanced technology skills.

Today I am considering why people do seem to be respectful to authority even in a day and age where it seems anything is possible. Last night, at 8 p.m. I was on a treadmill at the MU Rec Center watching the State of the Union on three flat-screen TVs while running and dangerously texting. This statement in itself would make my grandma look at me like I was crazy! However, what boggled my mind the most about this scenario was that the TV volume was not turned up, I had to read the President's speech in text while a DJ made mixed-versions of pop songs. What is more important--the President addressing the nation or having a pump-it-up music mix to work out to? From where I was standing (or running), it was the ladder. I'm not professing to be the most political focused person out there, or even the next, but I was bothered by this experience.

The second thing I'm going to talk about is the weather. For the past 3 years, I have had to get used to Missouri snow. It might snow 2-3 inches on a good year in Arkansas. For this we would get out of school for 3 days and everyone would stop driving, or make a mad dash to the grocery store for milk and bread. My freshman year wasn't too bad. A few inches here and there. Last year, the 16 inches came on my birthday, which was exciting until it came time for finals and I was walking in the snow and ice to campus. Today it is snowing some more, but I'm not sure on what the end result will be. I'll have to stay posted. Here are some pictures from these three years of snow in CoMO.



2 comments:

Taryn Dameron said...

I love how you jumped right into issues that bother you Brooke! Way to go being able to text and run at the same time! Just be careful!

Rachel Michelle said...

hey brooke! I agree with Taryn: I'm glad to see you expressing your views on a sad situation in our world today, maybe especially our colleges. You'd think that college students would want to broaden their understanding of the world, and instead, many prefer Nelly. Well, keep up the good work! :)