Sunday, February 3, 2008

Podcast

http://www-tc.pbs.org/frontlineworld/rss/media/rc_049_ecuador_countrydoctors_vodcast500k.m4v

This is the Podcast I listened to for class. I will post a better looking link when I have access to a different computer.

Through this assignment I realized how podcasts are like the blogs of the audio world. The readings kept repeating how with a podcast everyone could have his or her own radio show. This is crazy to me! I'm still not sure how one goes about getting people to subscribe to his or her podcast. I guess word of mouth makes sense, but honestly if someone told me they had a podcast, I probably wouldn't go listen to it.

When I was searching for a podcast to download I realized how diverse and popular they are. There are podcasts on tons of subjects! I was mainly interested in the independent journalist stories from other countries. One of the podcasts, actually vodcasts, I listened to (the one linked in this blog) was about a doctor in Ecuador who started a type of traveling practice. He has what he calls a hospital truck and a hospital boat. The truck is about the size of an ambulance and it is literally where he performs surgeries, same for the boat. His reason behind doing this is that about 25% of the 3 million people in Ecuador are indigenous and do not have access to or the money for health care.

Being able to hear the people's South American accents was neat to me. I think that in just using print journalism we lose a lot of the color and diversity of sources.

No comments: